Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Teaching Math With You Tube Videos: Halloween Fun

In the past few years,  I have posted some of my favorite songs and videos about shapes, counting, multiplication, coins, time, fractions, teen numbersarea and perimeter and addition facts.  I try to keep these posts up to date with the latest songs and videos I am using with my students.  They are a great way to get a little movement break while still working on important math concepts. Today I want to share with you some fun Halloween themed You Tube Videos that are a great way to review math topics while having some holiday fun and movement.  

Kindergarten

I have several kindergarten friends this year who are still struggling with one to one correspondence, counting to 20 and recognizing single digit numbers.  The following few videos are a good way to work on these important ideas.  I like to sing along with them and work with them to make up finger plays or dances to go with them.  










First Grade

I love the 10 in the bed rhyme for working on combinations of 10 and basic subtraction ideas.  This is a fun Halloween version of the classic song. 


Another great basic subtraction song/video!



Can you tell my first graders are working on subtraction?  This isn't a Halloween song per say but it is all about pirates (and subtraction!) so it fits in well with out theme!


We are also having a great time using our pumpkin 10 frames in both K & 1.  Next week we will read the story How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? We will follow up the story with cutting open some pumpkins ourselves and do a counting and estimating routine.


Do you have a favorite Halloween song/video for teaching kids about math?  Tell us about it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment