Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday Math Literature Volume 40

Welcome to the 40th installment of Monday Math Literature.  If you missed last week's post about some of my favorite books for telling time, check it out here!

I have recently been writing a lot about teaching money. I have shared some of my favorite activities for counting coins, you tube songs about money, a computer game and some money activities for morning meeting.

Today I want to share with you a few great books about money!





This book is part of the very popular Max and Ruby series and is a great addition to any collection.  In this fantastic story, Ruby and Max want to buy their Grandma a birthday present.  They keep spending their money and hope they have enough left to buy her something she is going to love!  I love how this book talks about money and about the relationship between a Grandmother and her grandchildren.



I love how this book is written with rhymes and love the opportunities to talk about money.  I also like how this story shows a kids saving his money up for something, thinking about buying it and rethinking his purchase.  It is a great lesson for kids to learn in addition to how to count and work with money!  Learning to save early is important!


How the Second Grade Got $8,205.50 to Visit the Statue of Liberty

This book is the most complex of the money books I use with young students but I love how it teachers a valuable lesson in financial literacy while at the same time being a great jumping off point for discussing money.  


A must have for anyone who teachings coin values and counting American coins!  Also great about this book is how they show different ways to make the same amounts of money.  Really good, clear pictures make it easy to see even when used for whole group lessons. 

This set of number puzzles in one of my favorite ways to follow up with counting coins at math centers.  


 What are your favorite money books?  Please respond in the comments below!

Check out these other ideas for teaching money!

2 comments:

  1. These books are all new to me, but Bunny Money looks especially cute! And maybe one that could be used in Canada?
    Thanks for sharing, Tara!
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bunny Money could easily be used in Canada!

      Delete