Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Math Literature Volume 4

Are you new to my Monday Math Literature posts?  Click here to start at the beginning!

Are you looking for a book to make learning geometry fun for your students?

Here is one of my favorites

 

In this story, a triangle is unhappy with himself and thinks that if he looked different he would be happier.  He visits the shapeshifter and asks for one more side and one more angle.  He is still not satisfied and continues to ask for one more side and one more angle.  Finally, after many visits and many sides and angles he realizes it is not about the way he looks.  

I have used this book with kids from Kindergarten up through third grade with success.  It is a very sweet and engaging story that teaches social lessons as well as mathematical ones.  It is a great way to expose kids to different names of polygons while integrating math and literature.

It is a must have for K-3 teachers!

Are there any children's literature books that you use to teach geometry concepts?

If you missed my other math literature Monday posts, click here to start at the beginning. 

Click Here to head to Volume 5!

You also might want to check out my post about teaching shapes with  You Tube videos.



3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites, too! I was crushed when I realized I forget to use it last year :(

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like having a great book or lesson or idea that you forget to use!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one. Looks like I need to though!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete