Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Math Literature Volume 2

I hope you enjoyed last week's installment of Monday Math Literature where I discussed Sir Cumference And The Dragon Of Pi Click here if you missed it and want to check it out!

This week I want to talk about my favorite Marilyn Burns book, Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!



I love Marilyn Burns!  I own several of her math literature books and a small pile of her professional development books.

This story is about Mr. and Mrs. Comfort's family reunion.  It is a great way for kids to explore area and perimeter while seeing how different table arrangements (constant area) result in a different number of seats available for family members (changing perimeter).  The story is fun and lighthearted and easy for students to connect with.  It is also a great story for kids to "act out" using tiles to model the tables.  I have used this book in grades 2-5 to help kids work on area and perimeter and it is especially good at getting kids to understand that rectangles can have equivalent areas but very different perimeters.

I bought this book in the library/school binding edition.  It is a little more up-front costs but after 5 years of use it still looks new!

What is your favorite Marilyn Burns book?

Want to read more about great math literature?  Click here to head over to part 3:)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the grade level. I was wondering if it was a first grade book, and now I know.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story might be interesting to first graders but I am afraid most of the math would go right over their heads!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! We use Cheez-it for the tables and Cheerios for the chairs to act it out! Thanks for the awesome Math Literature series! It's one of my favorites to follow!

    ReplyDelete